Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Life of Book Nerd & stay at home mom.

I have a life outside of books...really I do! I have 2 kids and a husband who need my undivided attention almost 24/7. I try to give that to them, my undivided attention...but alas a book is always calling to me. They stare at me from their large bookshelf and taunt me with promises of being swept away into an alternative world. It's so hard to resist. I stay at home to take care of my kids and my husband works. I love being able to stay home and enjoy them at these ages....I love it even more when they used to NAP! I could get so much done! Reading, cleaning, cooking, etc...but now that one is 7 and the other almost 3, there is no napping...so therefore very little reading during the day. My days consist of mind-numbing cartoons, reff-ing fights amoung siblings, searching for the lost toy in the more than full playroom, laundry and cooking. Don't get me wrong...I love being a mom, but is it so much to ask to have 5 minutes of peace and quiet? I try to sneak into the bathroom under the pretense of a potty emergency to read a chapter or two...but find that even there I am not immune to the wrath of a 2 year old on the verge of a hysterical episode. It's really hard to read when there is a constant pounding on the door and shrill screaming asking what is taking so long. I try to bribe them with candy or ice cream..."Here eat this...I don't care if it's 8 am in the morning...if you promise to stop trying to murder each other you can have ice cream for breakfast." I find myself saying this or something very close to it on a regular basis. Once school starts again, our house falls into the school year routine...and some normalcy will be present. It will be my son and I at home during the days, while my daughter is in school. I will not have to hear the bickering, screaming etc that comes along with 2 kids being off for 3 months. Maybe, just maybe, I will get to read before it's midnight. Oh, How I long for the days of 8pm bedtimes! They are almost here! Yay for school!

No comments:

Post a Comment